I first had this dish when my dad made it for me. He was looking for a vegan dish that everyone in the family might enjoy, and this arugula pesto certainly is a crowd-pleaser. My dad found the recipe on the Food Network website. Whenever we get a nice bunch of arugula, this is the top item on our menu. I especially love that there are no processed oils in this satisfying pesto.
You can, of course, make this dish gluten-free by using your favorite gluten-free pasta.
- 1 pound pasta (any type)
- 2 medium avocados, halved, seeded, and flesh scooped out
- 3 cups baby arugula leaves (3 ounces)
- 1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 large limes)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted in a dry frying pan until golden, then cooled
- In a food processor, mix avocado, arugula, basil, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutitional yeast. Process until smooth.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain but reserve about ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pan (no heat). Stir in the arugula/avocado mixture, adding just enough of the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce.
- Stir in the almonds or sprinkle them on top of each plate. Serve immediately.