I admit, I resisted jumping on the the potato-carrot-cheeze-sauce bandwagon. I’ve tried every kind of homemade cheeze sauce–squash, cauliflower, and the trusty cashew. I’ve made semi-soft almond cheeze and faux brie and smokey cheddar. Some of them are pretty good but, I now have to admit, nothing has the versatility and yumminess of the potato carrot sauce.
I resisted the recipes I saw for several reasons. Many call for instant mashed potatoes, which I don’t use. Some claimed that only russet potatoes, which aren’t common in our markets, could be used or the sauce would fail.
Then I saw a graphic showing how simple the sauce is to make, so we gave it a try. Something was missing, though: a bit of sharpness or tang. A touch of vinegar solved that.
We tried the sauce on pizza, on vegetables, on pasta, and on nachos. It was a resounding success.
And it’s so easy.
Since I first posted this recipe, I’ve change the method I use to make it, using the InstantPot. The sauce that was easy before is now super easy.
This recipe makes about 4 cups (8 servings).
- 4 medium potatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews or macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Optional seasonings such as red pepper flakes for nachos, or Italian seasoning for pizza, or a couple drops of liquid smoke
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil for two minutes.
- Add the carrots. Boil for five more minutes.
- Add the onion. Boil for seven more minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Place the boiled vegetables in the blender. Add one cup of the boiling liquid, onion powder, garlic powder, cashews,salt, nutritional yeast, and apple cider vinegar.
- Blend on high speed, adding the liquid a little at a time until the sauce is smooth.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Place all ingredients except the vinegar and final (optional) seasonings in the InstantPot and stir to mix.
- Use the manual setting and set the time to 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Allow the cooked ingredients to cool about 10 minutes.
- Place everything in a blender, add the vinegar, and blend until smooth and creamy.
Pour it over everything! Spread it on toast! Add it to soups!