I wanted a more clever name for this recipe. My husband suggest Uber Tuber Salad. Great idea, but not a big hit on Google. The name may be boring, but this vegan potato salad is truly is an uber tuber salad.
I know people who won’t eat potatoes because they fear carbs or cling to old ideas that potatoes are fattening. Spend some time reading Dr. John McDougall’s The Starch Solution then prepare to enjoy this excellent potato salad. Did you know that white potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins B6 and C, potassium, copper, and other minerals?
I like to use a combination of white and sweet potatoes for this salad, but it works equally well with all one or the other. We were fortunate to find some purple sweet potatoes in the local market and, mixed with white potatoes and topped with my homemade chipotle mayonnaise, the purple beauties took this salad to a whole new level.
I almost always double this recipe.
- 2 lbs white or yukon gold potatoes, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbl cider vinegar
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large dill pickle, diced
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (Chipotle is our favorite with this salad. If you don’t want to make your own, Veganaise has a great chipotle version.)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the white or yukon gold potatoes in water until fork tender. Don’t overcook. Drain and place in a glass bowl. Add cider vinegar, stirring gently. Allow the potatoes to cool.
- In a separate pan, boil the sweet potatoes in water until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Gently mix both types of potatoes, the onion, and pickles.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir gently until the potatoes are coated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.