I needed a dish to take to a potluck. There are only so many times you can take pasta salad or hummus to a potluck, right? One of my standby dishes is quinoa salad, but I was out of quinoa. What to do?
Presto, this Brown Rice Salad was born. It has most of the ingredients I put into my quinoa salad, but I jazzed it up with some of my favorite tahini dressing and toasted pumpkin seeds. The result is a dish that is layered with flavors and oh-so-satisfying.
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked according to your favorite method, and cooled to room temperature (4-5 cups cooked)
- 1 cup garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 3 cups broccoli florets, lightly steamed and cooled (about 1 small head)
- 1/2 cup Easy Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (or your favorite nuts, chopped)
- In a large bowl, gently stir together the rice, garbanzos, tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, onion, and broccoli.
- Add the tahini dressing and stir to coat the rice.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the pumpkin seeds (or nuts) on top.
Variation: Instead of chopped cucumber, use 1 cup Wilted Cucumber Salad (well drained).